In memoriam, Professor Ralph M. Stein

Pace Law School mourns the passing of Professor Ralph M. Stein. A founding member of our faculty, Professor Stein died on October 16 of complications from diabetes. Funeral arrangements are pending.

A constitutional law teacher, Professor Stein taught courses on the First Amendment as well as Remedies and legal history. His seminars included “Slavery, the Constitution, and the Civil War” and “National Security Law and the Challenge of Terrorism.” Devoted to the protection of civil liberties, Professor Stein served on the legal committee of the Anti-Defamation League, and sat on the board of directors of the Lower Hudson Valley Chapter of the New York Civil Liberties Union.

“He loved the students more than anything. He would do anything for his students,” recalled Professor Bennett Gershman, who had worked with Professor Stein since 1976, the year Pace Law School first opened its doors. “Ralph was a huge presence at the law school.”

Professor Stein was instrumental in the growth of Pace Law School. Professor Jay Carlisle recalled meeting Professor Stein in February 1977 and how Professor Stein spoke so highly of Pace Law School students during his recruitment of new faculty.

“I was so impressed with him. It did have a bearing on my coming here,” Professor Carlisle recalls.

Professor Stein impressed his colleagues in many ways. Upon hearing of his passing, faculty members recalled his passion for live music, his affinity for collecting books and CDs, the walking tours he would lead through New York City, and his dinners with friends.

“Ralph was one of the most energetic, dedicated, and– in some ways– opinionated man I’ve ever known,” said Professor Merrill Sobie. “He loved teaching. He wouldn’t dream of teaching a normal course load.”

Professor Stein’s abundant energy fueled his kindness, as well. Professor James Fishman recalled a shared love of books that found expression each year at holiday time when the two would exchange books they had chosen for one another. When Professor Stein had taken ill, Professor Fishman remembers that his colleague did not allow his confinement to disrupt their tradition. He arranged for a book to be delivered to Professor Fishman’s office at Pace.

Before beginning his teaching career, Professor Stein spent time at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom. He held degrees from the New School for Social Research and Hofstra University School of Law.

Pace Law School will be holding a memorial service in the next few months.

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email

103 Responses to “In memoriam, Professor Ralph M. Stein”

1. I was truly saddened to hear this news this morning. Prof. Stein made Con Law come alive. He was always available for his students…..even many years after graduation. He was a huge asset to Pace Law and he will be greatly missed!

• Professor Stein was probably my favorite professor at Pace Law School. The length and breadth of this man’s encyclopedic knowledge is unparalleled. Professor Stein could expound on virtually any subject or current event. Yet, the man was down-to-earth, and a humanitarian. He was always willing to extend a helping hand to any student that asked him. It has been written that at times, Life can be hard and sad; this is one of those times. Requiescat in pace.

• I was saddened to read the news of Ralph passing last night. His gruff exterior belied a generous spirit and liberal thinker who continued to extend his friendship and kind guidance throughout the twists and turns in my career. He will be missed.

• Great professor and great man. He will be missed.

2. Susan Payne Mulliken Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I am deeply saddened to learn of Professor Stein’s passing. I feel very fortunate to have been his student and friend. I truly don’t think I would have made it through law school, particularly first year, without his support and guidance. He always went above and beyond for his students and somehow made each of us feel like we were his only student. Since graduating, I mainly kept in touch with him on Facebook, where I could always count on him to “like” my photos and to leave witty comments. He was one of a kind and will truly be missed.

3. He was a breath of fresh air: always pleasant, a wealth of knowledge, independent thinker! I shall miss him…the time spent in his class, discussions we had, his true love for classical music- will forever remain in my memory.
    My thoughts are with Professor Stein’s family, and especially with his son (about whom he talked so much!)

4. Professor Stein and I had some disagreements over politics, but we shared an appreciation for national security and military law. His course was especially interesting in the early years after 9/11 and I grew to admire him greatly as an intellectual and a human being. A great loss for the Pace Law community and my thoughts and prayers are with his family.

5. Jorge E. Morales Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Rest in peace Professor, thank you for all you did for me, I would not be a lawyer today had it not been for you. From Combined Joint Task Force – Horn of Africa in Djibouti, East Africa. Jorge E. Morales, Class of 2000.

6. Ralph Stein was one of a kind. I had the privilege of being his student, but more importantly, he was a true friend; my family and I had the pleasure of his company at many holiday gatherings and always looked forward to lively conversation with him… He will be sorely missed by us all. Our deepest sympathy to his son, his pride and joy.

7. Bhavleen (Leena) Sabharwal Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Rest in Peace to one of my favorite law school professor’s, Professor Stein. He was a brilliant man whose life was dedicated to his students. Pace Law will definitely not be the same without his dark sense of humor and witty sarcasm and esp. his breadth of knowledge on so many legal subjects. I will miss being one of a group of students having long intellectual conversations with him about anything and everything law related in the classroom and cafeteria.

Bhavleen (Leena) Sabharwal Class of 2011

8. Though I was initially mad at him for skipping the First Amendment in his Con Law class, it eventually had the effect if giving me a much more robust appreciation for the Constitution once I took his First Amendment seminar. Ralph played by his own rules in many ways but also knew what he was doing. I’m glad my patience with him paid off. Good guy. Sweet guy. Lived in the real world, not the one covered in ivy. Godspeed, sir.

9. I am so sad to hear about the loss of Professor Stein. He was a great professor and so good to Pace Law School. I remember serving as one of his teaching assistants.

10. I have fond memories of Professor Stein regularly crushing soda cans during our Torts class. He was an interesting guy!

11. Alexander Shindler, Esq. '09 Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Professor Stein was truly one of a kind at Pace Law, both in his expertise in Con Law and personality We will forever miss him. I will always remember how he never wore suits to class because he always reminded us that we are not his clients at his firm. Just today, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit made an important ruling holding that the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional because it violates the Equal Protection Clause. I thought of Professor Stein when I read the decision. He will undoubtedly be proud of this recent fete in American history and the constitutional law arena.

Rest in peace,

12. Professor Stein was definitely unique, and he served as the springboard to my legal career. He introduced me to the law in his own unique manner that ultimately required me to think critically, yet compassionately – lessons that continue to serve me in my practice to this day. He was truly one of a kind – a true gem of the Pace Law faculty. My thoughts and prayers extend to his family. Godspeed, Professor Stein…you will be missed!

13. Prof. Stein was a wonderful person who truly cared for the success of his students, both during and after law school, and I feel privileged to have known him. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

14. RIP Professor Stein. Thank you for your contributions to the legal profession. I thoroughly enjoyed your classes. You will be missed.

15. Alan Polacek 1983 Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 5:18 pm

1979 First Year Torts-scared to death and into the lecture room crashes Prof Stein-then with the wild curly comb over. After about a half hour he had us all settled down and ready to deal with a common law assault case which I think was named Tuperville v. Savage {“if it were not Assizes I would run you through”}. He was great and a wonderful asset to the school and will be greatly missed. Godspeed Professor.

16. I am saddened and a bit shaken. Although it has been many, many years since I took Prof. Stein’s class (torts, if I recall correctly, because he was not then teaching Constitutional Law) as a member of PUSL’s very first night school enrollment, class of 1980, he was then and even now is larger than life, such was his impact. Always a bit disheveled, five minutes late to his next meeting, quick with a retort and riposte, never satisfied to leave a discussion in entirely comfortable resolution, he left an impression. Cantankerous but generous, argumentative but kind and caring, I can’t imagine the void left at the school after all these years of robust contributions. Godspeed indeed.

17. Proffessor Stein was one of my first proffessor’ in law school in 1983. He made an indelible impresion upon me and I have made a career focusing to a large extent upon the principles of tort and his teachings. He will be greatly missed and changed many lives and carrers as well. May his family and friends be comforted by his passing and may his memory be eternal.

Nicholas G. Sekas, Class of 1986

18. Very sorry to hear of Ralph’s passing. I only had occasion to take one seminar class with him, National Security Law, if memory serves, but I do remember his very colorful stories and his insistence that his students fully engage in his classes.

19. I was one of many students who had Professor Stein for Conlaw and Remedies. However, one of the things that always stood out for me was how much Ralph cared about his students as individuals– they weren’t just names or labels, they were real people with real problems and he always took an interest. He treated us as colleagues when we were just beginning our careers and then proceeded to bend over backwards to help us as much as he could to make that promise become a reality. I will always remember him for his caring heart and his crazy stories. Ralph you will be missed!

Taryn Rucinski Class of 2010

20. Professor Stein was one of those great teachers who inspires, captivates and seem to always be there for his students. I was privileged to have him my first year and took every class I could with him thereafter. Pace will not be the same without him. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

21. I am truly sorry to read that Prof. Stein has passed away. Over the years, after law school, I got to know him, Marla and Teddy. I got to speak to Prof. Stein at various events, restaurants as well as the Cortlandt Town pool.
    Teddy: I am truly sorry for your loss. Your father was an extremely intelligent and unique individual.

22. I am very saddened to hear that Professor Stein has passed away. I was a student of his in Con Law my first year of law school. I sat all the way in the back hoping he would not call on me but he eventually did and I remember I started shaking when he first called on me.
    I finally spoke up and answered his question to his satisfaction, and from then on we would discuss and argue Con law issues often. I am proud to say I had him as a professor, he is one one of the reasons I practice Civil Rights law today.

23. Stein was the cornerstone of my Pace law school experience. He reassured me in times of great trial. He was the first person who told me I would have a tremendous career, and I never forgot that or his innumerable other boughts of inspiration and advice. We spoke many times on civil war, religious movements, cultural outings, and important issues of civil rights. In class, he was fond of letting students speak without being called on, recant tales from Korea and the Greensboro PD, and refer to judges he thought poorly of as being “one taco short of a combination platter”.

I never saw a professor who cared more actively about his students. One occasion I remember in particular was when he was looking, from his hospital bed, for used bar books for a graduate who could not afford to take a bar course. I am very sorry to hear this news. Best wishes for his son. Thank you, Ralph.

24. Rest in Peace. You cared and it showed. Class of 1981.

25. Benjamin Movtady Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Prof Stein was a no nonsense kind of guy…not for everyone, but even those who he initially rubbed the wrong way, learned to respect him if nothing else.

Con law was one of my favorite classes during school, and I soon realized it was due to Prof. Stein’s method and insight.

A brilliant individual who was too smart to care what others thought of him.

His effect was greater than I think even he knew.

-Benjamin Movtady, Class of 2010

26. Professor Stein was one of the most memorable professors I have ever had. He was always sitting and talking with students in the dining hall. I took two of his constitutional law seminars and loved both. He loved engaging his students in debate. Pace Law School will not be the same without him.

27. Steinamo was an inspiration. RIP.

28. Michael Dunworth '88 Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Although Professor Stein was an acquired taste, he was the first (but not the last) Pace Law professor who taught me how to “think” like a lawyer. He also forced you to think on your feet, a skill so often lacking in young law graduates today. He was a master of the Socratic method of teaching, and future generations of Pace law students will be the poorer for not experiencing his methods. Rest in peace.

29. Luisa Maria Cristofano Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 5:54 pm

A “Professor” in the truest sense of the word. I never forgot all you said and did for me. Thank you Professor Stein.
    In Pace Requiescat.
    Luisa Maria Cristofano

30. I was a Professor of Mathematics at the time Pace opened the Law school. Ralph was my Torts Professor, and he was unforgettable. He had a passion for teaching (and arguing his points of view on all subjects with anyone who varied therefrom). A character that brightened the halls of the Pace University School of Law, he will be fondly remembered and missed.

31. The legacy of Professor Stein will always live in his students who took from his classes his zeal for the law, the rights of others and his concern for each student. The passing of Professor Stein is a loss for his family and the community of us who knew him at Pace.
    Steven A. Kass, Class of 1992

32. James Zimmermann Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 6:04 pm

C.A.P. program, summer of 1987, thanks for changing my my life, you were larger than life, many many people are “better people” having been “grilled” by you.

33. Professor Stein’s enthusiasm for teaching law has touched so many of the students that have passed through the halls of Pace Law School. I had not seen him in many years and attended a recent CLE with him. He encouraged participation and shared his knowledge of the law in a warm, friendly way. Like his law classes, the time flew and everyone enjoyed the experience. Professor Stein was also a compassionate human being, willing to help his students and fellow staff members with any legal issue they faced. My family is personally grateful for the kind assistance he gave us when facing a difficult legal matter. With his guidance, we navigated the best course possible. Professor Stein was also one of the founding members of Pace Law School’s faculty. I had the privilege of working with him when I was a student employed by Pace University. He worked hard to create a positive learning environment. His contributions helped transform our law school from a relatively small unknown school to one that has an excellent reputation for preparing its students well for the practice of law and public service. During his life, Professor Stein taught us that that the U.S. Constitution is not a rigid and finite document, but like him, one that is dynamic and far reaching. Thank you Professor.

34. Once in a lifetime, if you are very lucky, you are priviledged to meet a truly great man. Someone who changes the world, one person at a time. Someone you will never forget. The greatest lesson he taught me was to do the best you can for everyone, because you will never know when your efforts will make all the difference with that person. He was right. He never knew. (Class of 1988)

35. Anthony Schembri Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I am saddened by his death. He was one of my professors and when I began to teach at the Law School we had lunch together and discussed many criminal trials. I learned how brilliant his take was. He loved the School and had such pride. He made me feel at home at the school. I will remember him in my prayers on Sunday.

“what you heart has once cherished, you will never lose”

36. Ralph Stein was truly memorable and remarkable man. I will never forget him or how he taught us Constitutional Law. He was tough on us but an excellent teacher – he’ll be sorely missed by the Pace Law community. Dyan Pithers, Class of 98′

37. What a character! Professor Stein truly cared about all students. He really was always available, even many years after graduation. The world has lost another good one! I will miss you Professor. I guess I’ll never get to ask you whether it was Teddy that graded our exams.

38. Bernadette Buddington Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 6:39 pm

RIP Professor Stein and thank you for 1st years Con Law. I’ve been in awe of our constitutional democracy ever since your course. You’ve been an inspiration. Thank you, ’95

39. sari glass langstein Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I took torts with Professor Stein my first year of law school. After graduating Cornell, I received a D on one of the tests given in Professor Stein’s classes. I was so upset and met with Professor Stein and said D for devastated. He replied that devastated was not the correct term for a grade on a test-that there were other things in life more devastating-that was very true and a great lesson. May you rest in peace Professor Stein.

40. Maria Velock Filippelli Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Rest in peace, dear Professor Stein. He made us think and question and grow. Hoopleheads in heaven, beware.

41. Hon. William J Giacomo Reply 18. Oct, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Rest in peace Professor Stein. I enjoyed your class in torts and how you constantly challenged me to work harder. I have incorporated many of the things you taught me about challenging each individual to do his or her best into how I teach my students.

I have had some success since leaving Pace and much of it was fostered in your class.

42. I was very saddened to hear of Professor Stein’s passing. I still vividly remember his Con Law classes, which were alweays interesting because of his (highly opinionated) style. While I can’t say that I shared many of his political views, I always respected the way he expressed them and forced me to critically analyze my positions.

My condolences to his family.

43. Truly a great loss to our Pace Community and to all those that knew him. Professor Stein loved what he did and so many of us have benefited from having known him. My deepest condolences. Susan Winograd

44. Professor Stien,
    you were so proud of your son and all your students at Pace Law. You were a professor that really cared about the students. My condolences.

45. Deeply saddened by Professor Stein’s passing. Just had him in his last semester at Pace for White Collar Crime. He was funny, curious, insightful and genuinely interested.

Thank you for all of your contributions. This is a great loss. My condolences to his family.

46. I knew Ralph not in the field of jurisprudence, but classical music, which he loved dearly, enough to become one of our most active online members until his illness took hold. One of his favorite composers was Karl Ditters von Dittersdorf. Ralph was so pleased and overwhelmed when I presented a radio program honoring him with a full hour of Dittersdorf’s music and sent him a copy of the radio broadcast afterwards. classicalmusicguide.com had two dinner meetings in NYC city and he was very much involved in bringing people into our musical fold. Ralph had a very special love for NYC, calling it “the greatest city in the world.” We shall miss Ralph deeply, especially his very strong opinions about everything that made him unique and special. May he rest in peace.

47. Elizabeth Barnson Karnazes Reply 19. Oct, 2012 at 3:59 am

A great loss to the Pace community and to the legal profession. His passion for civil rights and passion for teaching were immense. A sad reminder that there is no cure for Diabetes. Elizabeth Barnson Karnazes Class of 1979

48. James A. Garvey III, '80 Reply 19. Oct, 2012 at 5:24 am

In 1976, I was in the very first Pace Law evening class and had Ralph for Torts. We were pioneers with a handful of professors and an overload of students and the Tudor Room our library. Ralph invited the class to his Queens apartment for a crock pot dinner. At the time it was all the rage. I vividly remember the thousands of books on library type shelves that smothered his rather small apartment. Kind sir, R.I.P.

49. Professor Stein taught me whilst I was a student at Pace in 2004 undertaking a Masters degree. On returning to the UK we worked on a case together involving a client from Florida and I found him to be the most helpful and energetic person whose primary concern was the client and not the dollar. I was shocked to hear of his passing and my deepest sympathy for his family. Bruce Drummond

50. Hon. John H. Wilson, Class of 86 Reply 19. Oct, 2012 at 8:38 am

I wish to express my condolences to Pace Law, and the family of Professor Stein. Without a doubt, one of my best teachers, overall. Always pushing the student to exercise the mind, to really think about the issues, and come up with non-obvious solutions. A practicing intellect, not merely theoretical. His influence has always been present in my career, and in the way I think in general. I will never forget taking his oral Constitutional Law exam, and the satisfaction of coming up with a solution to the problem he had not considered. I could not have done that without his guidance. Thank you, Professor Stein.

51. As a testament to Professor Stein’s wisdom and caring nature, I recall several conversations regarding constitutional law with him as a student. We often disagreed politically, but his lessons stuck – so much so that I often found myself pondering his points outside the classroom, even years after graduation. He went beyond simply an instructor – he gave me a new (and perhaps better) way of looking at the world. Thank you, sir.

52. MAJ Michael Rizzotti Reply 19. Oct, 2012 at 8:49 am

What a a truly inspirational and excellent professor! With an unparalleled passion for teaching, his enthusiasm invariably made his classes interesting, intriguing and inviting. I will forever remain indebted to Prof. Stein, for his National Security Law class, in the wake of 9/11, helped set in motion my career as a Judge Advocate in the Army. Thank you Prof. Stein and may you in Rest in Peace.
    Mike Rizzotti ’04

53. I had a State Constitutional Law Seminar with Professor Stein that I mark as my favorite class during law school. His teaching style and in depth examination of the law impacted the lawyer I am today. My condolences to his family.

Joe De Flora Class of 1992

54. Rich Falcigno '90 Reply 19. Oct, 2012 at 9:49 am

Professor Stein was a brilliant character on the legal horizon. There aren’t too many academics who could spur so much interest and debate in Constitutional law. But he did. His style and personality were unique and inspiring. I will remember him fondly, and with a smile, as I reflect on his zest for the law, his entertaining stories, and his commitment to the school. My condolences to his family. He will be sorely missed.

55. Demetra Karafotias Reply 19. Oct, 2012 at 10:16 am

I’m so sad to hear of his passing. He truly was a fantastic teacher and friend. He had even offered to conduct my marriage ceremony when I got engaged! I will always remember him.

56. Professor Stein was one of my first teachers in law school in the Fall of 1983. He brought his intelligence and humor to the class and we always looked forward to sharing time with him. My condolences to his family.

57. Professor Stein was one of my favorite teachers – at any level – that I had in my life. His breadth of knowledge (legal and otherwise) together with his sharp wit brought those sometimes crusty legal doctrines and centuries-old case law vibrantly to life. He sometimes gave me a rough grilling during Constitutional Law class, but I would have it no other way! And he was always good for a stimulating conversation if I wanted to stop by his office (after reading the cartoons posted in his door). He gave me such a good legal education all the while being entertaining and memorable. My heartfelt condolences to all his family, friends, colleagues, and former and present students.

58. My first professor at Pace Law. My first impression of Pace Law and my first mentor of the law. Professor Stein had an impact on my legal studies that still exists today. He was a bright spight in our community. Rest In Peace Professor.

59. Although my goal was to become an attorney, constitutional law was not a class that I was eager to attend.

Professor Stein changed everything.

He made the class interesting in his own unique way. I actually wanted to learn about constitutional law. Also, I loved the stories about his life experience.

During class, a one sentence answer/response was almost never enough. Not only would my answer be analyzed, but my actual analysis which led me to my answer would be analyzed.

Professor Stein would apply the current, real world legal issues to the class lesson.

He would also have the class discuss constitutional issues on-line. He would post a question/topic, step back, and the students would engage in constitutional combat.

Professor Stein added to my success as a student, and as an attorney.

The Pace Law School community has suffered a great loss. Professor Stein cannot be replaced.

Like the other Pace Law graduates, I give my condolences to his family. On one occassion Professor Stein did bring his son to class.

Anthony Bailey – Class of ’02

60. Nina M. Varindani - Class of 2010 Reply 19. Oct, 2012 at 11:46 am

I am truly saddened to hear about the passing of Professor Stein. He was my first year advisor and con law teacher. I enjoyed his class so much that I took several more of his classes throughout my years at Pace. His door was always open for his students and he would always make time in his busy schedule to meet with me. He had a passion for teaching and for his students. My condolences go out to his family and loved ones. Thank you for everything that you did for me. Rest in peace Professor Stein.

61. Judge Victor Alfieri '79 Reply 19. Oct, 2012 at 11:58 am

I was in the first graduating class in 1979, and Ralph was my Products Liability professor in my 3rd year. His wit, dedication and intelligence always made the class interesting and enjoyable. I saw him on a recent visit to the Law School, his energy and dedication was enduring, even after 32 years. Ralph will surely be missed by all who benefited from his teaching.

62. Elizabeth Hecht '83 Reply 19. Oct, 2012 at 12:16 pm

The news of Professor Stein’s death saddened me notwithstanding the fact that my last contact with him was in 1983. After first year Torts, I also took his Advanced Torts class. I recall with vivid clarity a lecture he gave in which he discussed how, in the course of history, societal groups which wished to dominate other groups often began the process by “outlawing.” He was a gifted speaker and a dedicated teacher. The Pace Community has suffered a significant loss.

63. I am a member of the graduating class of 1990. I was accepted to PACE on the conditioional acceptance program (CAP-1987)and had the pleasure of meeting Professor Stein that summer before I began law school. At that time, he was teaching criminal law. I clicked with him instantly by correctly answering.. “Who is Regina?” That was many years ago… I later became his research assistant and friend. I learned a tremendous amount just from being in his company. He was a brilliant man and kind-hearted. Professor Stein will be missed by all who truly knew him, and especially by me…

64. I am deeply saddened by the passing of Professor Ralph Stein. He was a legend in his time at Pace Law School. We had some great professors at Pace, but Ralph Stein was the best. He was a kind caring man who loved and inspired his students. I’ll never forget him. My deepest condolances to his family.

65. Adele Lerman Janow, Evening Class of 1990 Reply 19. Oct, 2012 at 1:40 pm

It is difficult to believe that Professor Stein will not be at his desk, walking the halls, of PUSL, with his diet can of coke in hand, or nodding and smilng as our legal community passed him by. Although, I did not have the privilege of being in any of his classes; I did know him through his presence at many Alumni gatherings. Professor Stein was always there to support the Alumni and would freely give advice as how to better our programming and how to get more of our graduates to support our meetings. I do know he loved the law. I also know he loved riding along with the Greenburgh Police Department when they went on call. I know that he adored his son, Teddy, because he often spoke so lovingly of him. I know that he cared for Marla. Moreover, I know that he loved our law school. I will miss seeing Professor Stein. But know this, his spirit will live among us in the halls, offices and classrooms of PUSL. Moreover, his spirit will continue to touch the hearts of those whom he met. My sincere condolences to his family.

66. I remember Professor Stein as a great teacher and human being. He was an asset to the school. I recall the great advice he gave me with an issue I had while writing for the school paper. My condolences to his family.

67. I am so saddened to hear the news of Professor Stein’s passing. Professor Stein’s door was always open and his mind was consistently receptive to new thoughts and ideas. As others have noted, he really taught us how to think like a lawyers. He was never too busy to talk about a particularly intricate case or to clarify a confusing concept.

One of my fondest memories of Professor Stein took place during Game 4 of the 2000 World Series between the Yankees and the Mets. His son Teddy monitored the game from an adjoining room while Professor Stein lectured. Teddy would sneak in to offer updates that he’d quietly and unobtrusively write out on the white board before sneaking off again. Professor Stein’s love of family and the law were evident but he never took himself too seriously. My condolences to his wife and son as well as to his extended Pace family.

68. I was so sorry to hear of Ralph’s passing. Ralph Stein was a one-of-a-kind human being — someone bursting with love, kindness and light as well as an intelligence that was uniquely sharp and precocious. I still remember our first meeting. I was a candidate on the teaching market in 2001. Unsure of myself and a bit apprehensive venturing into legal academe as an openly gay, working class Cuban-American who immigrated into the US as a young child. Ralph literally welcomed me with open arms and a big smile, encouraging me throughout the process. I accepted Pace’s offer largely because of Ralph’s warm welcome and the great things he said about Pace Law School and his community of colleagues and students (praise that proved to be very much true). He treated me to his famous Bengal Tiger welcoming lunch my first week on the faculty and then proceeded to be a dear friend and colleague. I hope that Ralph’s family and other loved ones know that he touched and even changed many, many lives with his warmth, kindness and ebullient spirit, and that many of us hope to model what he taught us by example in how we, in turn, relate to others. He left the world a better place thanks to who, what and how he was.

Tony Varona
    Prof. and Academic Dean
    American University Washington College of Law
    Assoc. Prof., Pace Law School, 2002-05

69. Judge Delores Scott Brathwaite '84 Reply 19. Oct, 2012 at 4:18 pm

This is truly sad news. Sincere condolences to Marla and his son. I had Professor Stein for Torts and he made it such an interesting class, challenging us to open our minds and to always think about both sides of the issue. He loved teaching and he loved Pace. Marla was in my graduating class and I remember when they got married. When I became the Commissioner of Human Rights for Westchester County and participated in a workshop at Pace, he not only remembered me but offered his assistance in any way possible. And we did discuss some human rights issues. He was truly an advocate of humanity. After my election to the Judiciary, he again reached out not just to congratulate me, but again offering me any assistance I might need. Professor Stein was very bright, well read and loved the law. I am sad for those who will not have the benefit of his knowledge and teaching. He will be missed.
    Rest In Peace.

70. Rest in peace, learned man.

71. Vivia L. Joseph (Class of 1997) Reply 20. Oct, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Prof. Stein. He was an excellent professor and an asset to the Pace Law School community. His knowledge of constiutional law left an indelible mark on me as well as those who had the privilege of being in his class. His love for the books in his office – oh what great love he had for reading. I can still remember when he reluctantly had to remove so many of the books he loved from his office. I pray that his family will find comfort in the days ahead as they reflect on the good times they shared with him. Surely, your mourning will be turned into gladness. May the Lord grant Prof. Stein eternal rest and perpetual peace.

72. It is with deep regret and sadness to learn of Ralph’s untimely passing. From my earliest introduction to him as my Torts professor in 1976, through numerous encounters at Pace, over the years, I always found him to be intellectually curious,empathetic and warm to all, in a disarmingly casual manner. Although it is often said, this is truly a case where someone has been taken from us….too soon.
    His amiable presence will be sorely missed.

73. Ramona Walewangko Reply 21. Oct, 2012 at 11:06 pm

This is such sad news. He was definitely one of my favorite professors. I have never and will never forget him. In fact I still keep the notes from his class after all these years. He was simply awesome. He always had his doors open for the students. I don’t think words would ever be enough to express his contribution.

74. John B. Messenger '79 Reply 22. Oct, 2012 at 8:21 am

I’m saddened to hear about Prof. Stein’s passing, and send my condolences to his friends and family. He was a major player in the early-years Pace Law School experience. We all bear a debt of gratitude to him and others of his caliber for being willing to throw his lot in with a brand-new unknown law school back in the late 1970s.

75. As the manager of the bookstore, one of my jobs is to get the book orders for the upcoming semester from all the faculty members. Whereas some of the faculty consider that process an afterthought, Ralph Stein was always among the first, if not the first, to give me his adoption. Then, after what he considered to be sufficient time for the books to arrive in the store, he would come in and ask why they hadn’t yet arrived. I know it was out of concern for his students. I therefore had to explain to him that there is a timeline involved but his books would be here in plenty of time for his students to complete any assignments that were due before the first day of class. As a result, his books were in the first round of orders. I also remember running in to him several times in and around Peekskill, where I live and, as I understand it, he had a house. Our paths crossed at Ruchi, an Indian restaurant, and Nonna’s, the local pizzaria, as well as on the street. Ralph Stein will be missed in the bookstore.

76. Neil VanderWoude Reply 22. Oct, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Prof. Stein was one of my professors at Pace who most clearly communicated the value of courage for an attorney. He also had an acute appreciation for a wide range of humor, another thing no attorney can do without. He showed a level of respect and concern for his individual students that was unparalelled and had that knack for encouraging the outrageous idea–and then normalizing it.

77. Professor Stein, may you rest in peace. When I first you him I was new to the NYC area and we were on same train to Grand Central by chance. We talked about Croton on Hudson, where he lived for a time, and had quite a lively discussion of the Hudson River environment. You never failed to engage me in conversation about some provacative environmental issue in the halls of Pace Law after that train ride. You cared about your colleagues and the students. Deep condolences.

78. Professor Stein, you were always available and I could tell you truly cared about the well being of your students. I loved your classes because you forced me to think outside the box. May you rest in peace.

79. Jennifer Pelton, Class of 2011 Reply 23. Oct, 2012 at 11:33 am

Professor Stein was a phenomenal professor who cared deeply about educating his students and giving them the skills required for a successful legal career. Outside of the classroom, he still cared for his students and was a great advice-giver. Professor Stein was also a diligent crusader for human rights and making the world a better place. He will be greatly missed.

80. Professor Stein, I will always remember you as one of the kindest and warmest people I have ever known. You were an outstanding professor, a true friend and a mentor to many of your students, including myself. You were one of the first people to welcome me into Pace. It was always so good to talk to you in the cafeteria during the lunch breaks where you were reading your newspaper so frequently… and I will miss you and your FB posts, comments and photos of New York City that you loved so much. You will be so much missed in my heart. May you rest in peace.

81. Lauren Bronwyn Glenn Reply 24. Oct, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Professor Stein was one of the most intelligent and knowledgeable professors at Pace Law School. Aside from that he was a warm individual who was accessible! I will miss him.

82. Patricia L. Campanaro, Esq., '84 Reply 25. Oct, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I am so sorry to hear of Professor Stein’s passing. He made my first year at Pace Law School an enjoyable and memorable experience.

83. Wendy Bernard, '02 Reply 29. Oct, 2012 at 4:13 am

Professor Stein, you taught me to love the Constitution, and your impact on my life cannot be overstated. Your sincerity, passion and selflessness are only some of your attributes as a teacher, that I will not soon forget. Rest in Peace. You changed the world.

84. There is much too much to say about Ralph as a passionately engaged colleague who was always deeply involved with every issue and enterprise of the Law School — and as a force for good in the world generally — but in this space just want to acknowledge the touching, amazing tide of respect, affection, gratitude, and sense of real loss expressed in these messages, many from alums I know (shout-out to Jen Lincoln, Ramona Walewangko, Adele Lerman Janow, and Anthony Bailey in particular). Nothing could mean more to any teacher and especially to Ralph. Although he would never say so, I am sure that Ralph realized that he was held in this special regard and had this extraordinary impact on a vast array of students, both within and outside the classroom, a regard and impact that he reciprocated and that is wonderful to see captured here.

Despite his at times curmudgeonly persona, Ralph seemed to take advantage of all life has to offer with rare zest and relish. He sucked the bones dry, as my grandmother used to say. That makes his passing almost all the more tragic, and yet it is also a consolation. Hard to believe that I will not again run into Ralph hanging out with a coterie of students in the hallway of the Ottinger Building and end up distracted from my duties into a fascinating/enraging/edifying conversation. Ralph Michael Stein, agent provocateur of legal education, we will indeed miss you.

Vanessa Merton, Professor, Pace Law School 1989-

85. My condolences, especially to Teddy, for whom Ralph had great and obvious affection.

86. I was deeply saddened to hear about the loss of Professor Ralph Stein. I too was in the first class at Pace and professors and students were like a team with the goal of Pace Law School being a success and it has done so beyond our wildest dreams. He had deep and abiding faith in us as students and scholars. He also could be very funny and irreverant good qualities for the practice of law. His dedication to Pace Law School and its students was unquestionable and I thank him for making me the lawyer I am today. We all will miss him, but most especially the law school he loved so dearly.

87. So sorry to hear about the loss of Professor Stein. He taught me American Legal Process in the CAPs Program in ’85, and because of him I attended Pace. Will be forever grateful.

88. Barbara E. Cowen '81 Reply 07. Nov, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I just saw the notice of Ralph Stein’s death. I remember him fondly as a devoted and involved teacher. The last time I saw him was at Avery Fisher Hall in Lincoln Center where he was attending a concert. Professor Stein will always be in my thoughts.

89. Undoubtedly one of the great pillars of Pace Law. So well respected; so now missed. It was a true privilege to be your student, several times over. My best to your family Professor Stein.

90. My condolences to the family of Professor Ralph Stein. He was not only a teacher in the classroom, but a friend, mentor and inspiration to many. As the first professor at Pace to encourage me and believe in my ability to succeed, I am filled with gratitude to have known you. Thank you, Prof. Stein.

91. I will never forget Professor Ralph Stein. I was one of the students who had to go through the CAP program which he taught that summer. He encouraged every student in that class. He believed in me and my ability to succeed and make it through this program and law school. When ever I needed to discuss any legal issue he was always there to lend a helping hand. If I needed help with a constitutional issue, he was always the first one to say I am here to provide any assistance. I will never forget him. He was a great teacher. Once I left Pace, he was always there as a mentor and friend. He never forgot any of his students. He will be missed by all who knew him.

92. Kristen Stavisky Reply 26. Nov, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Professor Stein was a gifted professor. I took several of Ralph’s courses, including Constitutional Law, Criminal Procedure, and First Amendment Seminar. Professor Stein loved the law and was an intelligent and caring mentor and friend. I was thrilled to reconnect through Facebook and considered Professor Stein my one lasting connection to Pace. I will miss him and believe the legal profession has lost a giant.

93. Diane Kanca-Dwyer '82 Reply 27. Nov, 2012 at 10:13 pm

It was with great sadness that I learned of Ralph’s passing. He was a dynamic force, a wonderful teacher and a real inspiration. He challenged you to really think independently, and always made each student feel important. He made torts fun.

You will be missed, my friend, you will be missed.

94. Jeffrey M. Conforte Reply 11. Dec, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I first met Ralph when we were both first year law students at Hofstra School of Law. We became very close friends not only studying together but also spending a lot of time in New York City ‘book hunting’. We would go to the Strand, Marboro Books, the Argosy Book Store, Barnes and Noble and any little book store Ralph could find. We would eat some fast food and then return to his apartement and check out our loot (sometimes we each purchased 30 or 40 books at a time). When we were still in law school I believe Ralph had crammed almost 10,000 books into his library.

We tried to stay in touch but found that with him living almost 3 hours away it was difficult. However, every year we would talk to each other at least twice, once on his birthday and once on mine. I called him last July 14th, his birthday and we promised to chat again on my birthday December 2nd. Sadly it was not to be.

I miss my friend.

95. Sadded to learn of the passing of one of my favorite law school professors. With fond rememberance, please accept my heartfelt condolences.

96. I was in the second class to graduate at Pace and had Ralph for torts my first year. He was a great professor who kept the attention of one and all and even made Palsgraf come to life. Sorry more students won’t have the benefit of his enthusiasm and ability to engage his audience.

97. I just learned that Ralph Stein died last October. I was not a student of his – I was a classmate of Ralph’s in the second graduating class at Hofstra Law School. He was Editor in Chief of the Law Review, where I was a lowly staff member. But I received a letter from him to prove that I wrote an article for the review. I was blown away by Ralph during our first year in law school when I heard him speak; he spoke in paragraphs, which is a rare talent and gift. I know that Ralph made the right decision in leaving Skadden Arps. He was meant to teach, and his legacy will remain alive through the thousands of law students he embraced.

98. In memory of a great man.

99. Roland Nicholson, Jr. Reply 04. Jun, 2013 at 11:01 am

I arrived at Hofstra Law School not knowing quite what to expect. I did not expect to find Ralph Stein. A bit older and more worldly than most of us students, Ralph often held court describing the life he had led prior to law school. His experiences as they related to the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights Movement were fascinating. When the Law School reached out in it’s recruitment effort to bring greater diversity to the student body, Ralph knew that I had been involved in “nudging” the administration to do so. He quietly approached me and told me that he would be available to tutor any student who felt he or she needed it. He was at home talking about music, legal philosophy, politics and most other subjects. A real renaissance man. RIP Ralph.
    Roland Nicholson, Jr,
    Shanghai, China

100. there is a saying that the most profound thing between people is honesty – and I always thought of Prof Stein who would tell you exactly the way he saw it – no frills attached!! I am grateful for the opportunity to be your student and for leaving this world a better place.